Ewen is a solicitor advocate specialising in alcohol and gambling licensing. Ewen represents a wide range of multi-site and independent leisure and retail operators across England, Wales and Scotland.
Ewen has appeared before numerous licensing committees and boards across the country representing clients’ interests, and has also assisted clients in dealing with local and national regulatory authorities. He also advises on due diligence matters arising out of the acquisition or sale of licensed premises.
Ewen is recognised as a leader in his field by both Chambers UK and Legal 500 and was voted Licensing Lawyer of the Year UK at the Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards 2017.
Ewen is a member of the Institute of Licensing and the Gambling Industry Lawyers Working Group, and is a regular speaker at events relating to alcohol and gambling licensing.
Jurisdiction: England and Wales, Scotland
- Ashton Gate Limited – applying for and obtaining a premises licence to facilitate the holding of large scale concerts at Ashton Gate Stadium.
- Welcome Break Limited – applying for and obtaining premises licences across the motorway service estate.
- The Original Bowling Company – advising on due diligence on new developments, and being responsible for the day to day administration of the licensed estate/applying for new premises licences and gaming permits.
- Confidential – advising national gambling operator on new products following change in legislation, and on application for new operator’s licence.
- Lion Brewery – representing and advising Australian brewery on first application for new premises licence in the UK, encompassing microbrewery and bar.
- Independent operator – successfully representing independent operator on review of premises licence following allegations of significant number of violent attacks and sexual assault.