The GDPR is going to be the biggest shake-up in data protection and privacy rules for decades. Make sure your organisation is prepared with our free guide.
The new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) comes into effect on 25 May 2018 and will replace all national data protection laws across Europe, including - the government has confirmed - those of the UK.
Key areas of change for businesses included in our free guide are:
- A higher standard when relying on consent to process personal data, requiring unambiguous consent and clear affirmative action.
- Rights to more information about how an individual's personal data will be used and greater access to the data that's held.
- A Data Protection Officer with legal expertise must be appointed if an organisation is regularly monitoring individuals or processing sensitive personal data at scale.
- Data processors to be held liable for breaches in their own right.
- An increase in the maximum fine for breaching the rules to €20 million or 4% of total global turnover.
- Organisations have just over a year to implement the new regime.
Download our guide to the GDPR for more detail on the changes and what you can do to prepare.