We are client-led in our approach to cross-border advice. International franchising, brand protection, corporate deals, family matters, disputes and banking each require different expertise, so we don't rely on one network of best friends.
We have links with specialists firms and lawyers in the countries where our clients need our support. This means we recommend the expertise that will best support our clients' commercial objectives.
Often we will act as the sole hub for our clients, working with the lawyers in the relevant country. We will project manage and deal with commercial issues, whilst they provide jurisdiction-specific legal advice.
We're familiar with the cultural and jurisdictional issues arising between overseas subsidiaries and are used to attending meetings and giving presentations to overseas business managers, helping them to understand UK law.
Taking a proactive approach to developing and maintaining relationships with foreign firms, including through our membership of European Law Firm, means that we can provide swift access to high quality legal services across Europe and further afield.
We've 'project managed' across borders for a number of significant clients, examples of specific jobs include:
- Co-ordinating law firms in the Czech Republic, Belgium, Holland and Germany on Acquired Rights Directive issues relating to a European acquisition.
- Acting for one of the UK's leading fashion retailers in setting up its logistics arrangements to support its franchise operations in over 60 countries.
- Managing a portfolio of 900 marks in 150 countries for Accolade Wines including Hardys, Stowells, Kumala, Stone’s, Babycham, Blackthorn and Gaymers.
- Advising the National Franchised Dealers Association, which represents approximately 85% of all franchised motor dealers in the UK, on competition and block exemption matters across Europe.
- Advising Logistik Unicorp Inc, a Canadian based international managed service supplier of uniforms, on the sale of its European divisions based in the UK, the Netherlands and Tunisia to Uniform Brands Limited, a work wear and corporate clothing supplier.
- Advising an Indian bank on its financing of the acquisition of a Swedish power company by an Indian power company.
- Acting as an intermediary/instructing lawyers in Sweden (on redundancy issues), in Germany (on restrictive covenant/performance issues), in France (on confidentiality/performance issues), in Italy (on sexual harassment issues), in Pakistan (on redundancy issues), in Dubai (on redundancy/gross misconduct issues), in the USA (on severance issues) and in Singapore (on severance issues).